Best Pet-Friendly Beach Destinations in Florida: Palm Coast and the Flagler Beaches
Tucked between Daytona Beach and St. Augustine, Palm Coast and Flagler Beaches destination is known for pristine beaches, fabulous weather and tasty seafood. But it’s also—and possibly more famously—known for being one of the most pet-friendly beach destinations in the state and even the country. USA Today ranked Flagler Beach as one of the best places to take your pets when planning a beach vacation. But where can you take your pets? And what are the best things to do during your “dog-cation”? Here’s a guide to some of the best things to do with your pets in Palm Coast and Flagler Beaches.
1. Hit the beach. The town of Flagler Beach has a very family-friendly beach policy, allowing furry friends to roam most of the beach in the area north of Gamble Rogers State Recreational Area. Leashed dogs can play in the sand and hit the waves along with their owners. Dog owners are advised to keep their dogs on a leash no more than five feet long. Pet-friendly beaches are located north of N. 10th Street and south of S. 10th Street.
2. Roam freely at Wadsworth Park. Located just off Highway 100 near the Matanzas River, Wadsworth Park is Flagler Beach’s most popular dog park. The fenced-in park is more than 60,000 square feet for your dogs to roam freely and unleashed. The park overlooks a pond and has several wooden benches for owners to relax and sit in the shade. There are two separate off-leash destinations for smaller and larger dogs. There’s no need to bring your own water for your furry friend; the park provides many water bowls.
3. Take your pup out on the water. Due to calm waters in the Palm Coast and Flagler Beach area, kayaking and paddleboarding are ideal watersports to do with your dogs (really!). When visiting the area, dog owners will be delighted to find many kayak and paddleboard rental venues allow your pets to accompany you on the trip. Both you and your pets will catch glimpses of Florida’s wildlife like egrets, manatees, and turtles along the route.
4. Dine with an oceanview. Palm Coast and the Flagler Beach area prides itself for having countless of dog-friendly restaurants and cafes. Dog-friendly oceanfront restaurants include Turtle Shack Cafe, Johnny D’s, and High Tides at Snack Jack. However, for a laid back day of sipping coffee, enjoying breakfast, and reading, head over to Java Joint or The Beach House Beanery with your pet.
5. Spoil your dog at one of the many pet boutiques. Looking for a stylish collar or doggie uniforms? Flagler Beach and the Palm Coast area have several top-of-the-line pet boutique shops like The Bark Spot. There, pet owners will find high quality gourmet pet foods, snacks, and baked “doggie goods.” Additionally, shoppers can send in prints of their pets to have customized mugs, shirts, and magnets and shop for holiday-themed costumes. Pet Smarts and Pet Supermarket are two other venues to swing by and shop for your favorite “child.”
6. Bed and board with your pets. The area has a variety of accommodations that welcome you and your pets. Several beachside properties and vacation rental homes that are dog-friendly include Si Como No Inn, Flagler Beach Motel and Vacation Rentals, Tropical Bird and Bee, and Vacation Rental Pros. Dog owners can opt to camp beachside with their canines at Flagler by the Sea Campground, Beverly Beach RV Camptown Resort, or Gamble Rogers State Recreational Area. There, both man and his best friend can camp out under the stars.